Welcome to historic St. John's Lutheran Church in New Baltimore,
All are welcome to join us.
Our Mission: God has called us to Care, Share, Teach and Love as Jesus
has loved us.
St. John's is a member of the Southeast Michigan Synod of the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA).
In 1863, during the
stormy days of the Civil War, Lutheranism had its beginning in the New
Baltimore area. Seven German families made up the original congregation of
St. John's Lutheran Church, holding worship services in the home of Fritz
Turkow. Five years later the worshipers moved to an old chapel which was
rented from the Baptists. In 1870 the Lutherans erected this structure on
property given by Gilbert Hatheway in January of 1869. Services and
religious instruction were offered in German until 1916 when English was
introduced with one English service a month. German services were
discontinued in 1934. St. John's houses a Hinners mechanical action organ,
which was acquired in 1905.
About New Baltimore, MI:
French explorers led by Pierre Yax first
settled in the area now known as New Baltimore in 1796. Chippewa Indians
inhabited this vicinity then. Fabian Robertjean made the first government
land purchase in 1820. Twenty-five years later, Alfred Ashley of Mount
Clemens came here and built the first sawmill and dock, and in 1851,
platted the village of Ashley. He also managed a hotel and general store,
opened the first post office in his store in 1852. German pioneers arrived
here in 1853 clearing land along the Salt River for their settlement.
Renamed New Baltimore in 1855, this area was incorporated as a village in
1867 and as a city in 1931. New Baltimore is a popular place for fisherman
and hunters and is noted for its expansive shoreline dotted with summer
cottages and homes.